This section gives information on bipolar disorder. It explains the symptoms, the potential causes of bipolar disorder and where you can get further information and support.
- Bipolar disorder, also known as bipolar affective disorder, is a mood disorder. It used to be called manic depression.
- Bipolar disorder can cause your mood to change from high (mania) to low (depression).
- Symptoms of mania can include: increased energy, excitement, impulsive behaviour, agitation and believing you have super powers for example.
- Symptoms of depression can include: lack of energy, feelings of worthlessness, low self esteem and suicidal thoughts.
- You can also have psychotic symptoms if you have bipolar disorder.
- There are different types of bipolar disorder.
- There are different causes of bipolar including genetics and environment
This section covers:
If you found this information useful, please consider donating to us.
This information was written by Rethink Mental Illness, which has been awarded Information Standard accreditation for being trusted and relevant.